The keto (ketogenic) diet is a new trend in diet nutrition. The keto diet started gaining the most popularity in 2017 and continues to this day.
The keto diet is one approach to a healthy lifestyle. Preference is given to natural food products according to the needs of the human body with the presence of fats and the lowest carbohydrate content.
The Ketogenic Diet is an updated version of the Low Carb Diet.
Principles of the keto diet
The main principle of the keto diet is low carb foods. The ketogenic diet is based on the processing of fatty acids by the body. The breakdown of animal fats entering the body with the food with the non-interference of carbohydrates is the key to healthy eating with this method.
The low carb keto diet is very popular with obesity, among people who want to lose weight or stay in shape.
With a minimal or complete absence of carbohydrates in the body, the burning of fat occurs quickly, a person begins to lose weight. The fats start to be eliminated from the body and converted into fatty acids and then in the keto body.
Ketone bodies are a breakdown product of fat produced by the liver. With active expenditure of energy or prolonged fasting, in order to obtain energy, the body begins to break down its own stored fat.
The breakdown of fat and the formation of ketone bodies is called ketogenesis and is a completely natural process for the human body. Ketogenesis does not lead to drastic weight loss.
Features of the keto diet
A hallmark of the keto diet is the substitution of the supplied energy resource - carbohydrates with fats, or rather the decay products - ketones. To reorganize the body and depending on individual characteristics, it is necessary to reduce the amount of carbohydrates consumed by 50-20 grams per day. It will take 2-4 weeks for the body to fully adapt to the new nutritional system. The maximum form of fat burning is achieved by following a balanced diet.
A distinguishing feature of the keto diet from other types of diets is the limited amount of carbohydrates in the body, the low protein content, and the presence of fat. The daily intake of carbohydrates from food should not exceed 20 grams per day. Ketones, a byproduct of animal fat that the body uses for energy, must have a fat / protein and carbohydrate ratio of 2 to 1. To maintain normal metabolism, the body must receive large amounts offats. 75% of the calories in your daily diet should come from fat, the rest from carbohydrates and protein. The calorie intake of products per day should not exceed 5000 kcal. The diet does not limit the time to eat, you can safely eat after 6 p. m.
The less a person consumes high carbohydrate foods, the more effective the diet is in suppressing hunger.
The main part of the daily diet should be fat, followed by protein and, last but not least, carbohydrate. The peculiarity of this diet, unlike others, is that salt intake is not limited here, which restores the balance of electrolytes.
At the start of the diet, you should gradually reduce the amount of carbohydrate consumed.
With the strict principle of adhering to the keto diet for weight loss, a person can easily lose 3-5 kilograms of weight in a month without harming their health and reducing the amount of fatty tissue.
Athletes are more likely to adhere to a cyclical ketogenic diet, burning fat, their body becomes more prominent, and muscle mass increases. The reason for this change lies in the transformation of the hormonal background and the increased process of formation of growth hormone. The principle of the diet is strictly regulated with the training plan.
Benefits of the Keto Diet
The benefits of the keto diet have already been scientifically proven and approved by nutritionists. In addition to losing or maintaining weight, the condition of the skin, hair and nails improves, food metabolism is normalized, metabolism improves, and immunity increases.
Studies have shown that people who are overweight and have high cholesterol, following a keto diet for 56 weeks, not only lost over 25 kilograms, but also significantly improved their blood sugar and blood sugar levels. cholesterol.
With caution, doctors recommend dieting for cancer patients. It is well known that cancer cells actively feed on glucose, completely excluding them from the diet and adhering to a diet without carbohydrates, diseased cells gradually lose their activity.
For lovers of independent weight loss, without a prescription, the simplest diet option is suitable - the keto lifestyle.
The ketogenic diet is widely used by athletes in sports requiring high endurance: marathon, triathlon, cycling, extreme sports.
The diet promotes fat burning for efficient production of an energy source, thus contributing to the conservation and economical consumption of glycogen (animal starch) during prolonged intense exertion.
The obvious benefits of a keto diet are general improvement in well-being, emotional mood, energy boost, increased efficiency, increased brain activity.
The ketogenic diet is more about healthy eating, but only healthy people can stick to it on their own. Before starting such a diet, you need to consult a specialist, he will tell you what pitfalls there may be and how to best cope with deteriorating health.
Cons of the keto diet
Compared to other weight loss diets, the ketogenic diet is more effective, but long-term adherence can have different consequences.
The downside to the keto diet is that it isn't right for everyone. When glucose levels are low, the body's glycogen stores are depleted. With a sudden transition from a regular diet to a ketogenic diet, many people experience dizziness, weakness, and drowsiness, as well as difficulty with coordination.
If the following symptoms appear, you should stop following the ketogenic diet:
- decreased performance and decreased concentration;
- increased fatigue;
- unpleasant pungent acetone odor from the mouth;
- difficulties with the digestion process;
- low blood count;
- frequent urination;
- persistent dry mouth;
- decreased appetite.
- deficiency of minerals and vitamins in the body.
Against the background of high fat ketone nutrition, there may be excess ammonia in the blood, which leads to toxic poisoning of the body and disruption of hormone levels.
During the first week of the diet, you may experience chills or fever, fatigue, mild nausea, irritability. You should drink as much water as possible. Symptoms usually go away within a week, and the body gradually adjusts to energy from fat stores.
To adjust nutrition, special test strips are used, which display the level of ketones and glucose in the blood.
List of foods allowed and prohibited on the keto diet
Eating this way should be approached wisely. There is a specific list of foods that are allowed and prohibited on the keto diet.
First let's see what you can eat on the keto diet:
- You can eat all types of meat: beef, pork, chicken, turkey, bacon.
- It is allowed to eat seafood and all fatty fish: salmon, chum salmon, mackerel.
- A wide range of dairy products: fatty cottage cheese and yogurt, cream, cheese, butter.
- You can add seasonings while cooking. Vegetable salads can be seasoned with olive oil or vegetable oil.
- Nuts, berries and seeds are allowed for a snack.
- Allowed fruits: avocado, lemon, lime, but if you want something different, that's fine.
- Chicken eggs.
- The diet should contain water, unsweetened tea, coffee, mineral water. You should drink at least 2 liters of fluid per day.
- You can drink dry wine and strong alcohol: a glass of dry wine contains no more than 4-5 grams of carbohydrates, and they are completely absent from vodka.
- Among vegetables, preference is given to low-carbohydrate vegetables, according to the principle: what grows in the ground can not be (carrots, beets, potatoes), but what can be above theground (cucumbers, tomatoes, cabbage, zucchini, green onions, lettuce). All fatty foods go well with green vegetables.
Keto Diet Don'ts:
- all kinds of legumes and grains - peas, beans, beans, corn;
- low fat dairy products - low fat cottage cheese, milk, cream, yogurt, fermented baked milk, yogurt, kefir, varenets;
- sugar, sugary drinks, reconstituted juices, soda, candies;
- it is unacceptable to use snacks, chips and crackers;
- all starchy vegetables: potatoes, pumpkin;
- will have to give up rice, cereals and pasta;
- food made from white flour: pastries, muffins, croissants, rolls, pasta.
It is necessary to completely exclude the consumption of sugar, certain fruits and dried fruits.
Contraindications to the keto diet
People with diseases of the nervous system, with diseases accompanying the destruction of nerve cells, patients with diabetes mellitus should be carefully approached nutritional problems.
There are some contraindications to the keto diet for humans:
- suffering from epilepsy;
- diseases associated with disorders of the motor organs;
- the presence of any chronic disease of the liver, kidneys;
- gastrointestinal tract; atherosclerosis
- with high cholesterol levels.
The keto diet is not recommended for pregnant women or for certain medications.
Keto diet: menu of the week
Nutritionists recommend using the principle of diversity. A classic example of a keto diet for a week.
- breakfast - fatty cottage cheese without sugar and flour;
- lunch - any meat with a side dish of vegetables;
- for dinner - mushrooms or chicken with herbs.
- breakfast - avocado salad with sour cream;
- for lunch - meatballs with vegetables;
- in the evening - grilled fish with asparagus.
- breakfast - curd salad with vegetables;
- for lunch - turkey meat with broccoli;
- For dinner you can make an American fish salad with celery stalks.
- in the morning - scrambled eggs and bacon and fatty yogurt;
- for lunch - chicken baked in sour cream with a side dish of vegetables;
- Dinner will consist of river fish.
- for breakfast - cottage cheese without sugar;
- for lunch - green buckwheat with meat;
- in the evening - baked meat with vegetables.
- breakfast - avocado salad topped with yogurt;
- for lunch - chicken cutlets with a side dish of vegetables;
- for dinner - stews and herbs.
- breakfast - hard-boiled eggs and fatty cottage cheese;
- for lunch - compote of veal with mushrooms;
- in the evening - chicken breast with fresh vegetables.
For an afternoon snack, you can eat nuts, avocados, berries, cheese, drink mineral water.
Recipes from the keto diet menu
The most common and simplest dish on the keto menu is scrambled eggs and bacon or cheese for breakfast. For lunch, you can eat part of any meat with herbs, green beans. Fish can be eaten in any form with vegetables for dinner. For a snack, you can eat a handful of nuts. Servings can be both large and small, as long as the body is saturated.
Here are a few simple, complete meals that don't require any extra snacks.
Fish salad:any fatty fish is cooked or boiled, cut into pieces, add: eggs, pickled cucumbers, onions, mayonnaise or sour cream to20%, you can add a few lettuce stems.
Chicken with bacon, baked in sour cream with mushrooms:the bacon are fried in olive or sunflower oil, removed from the pan during thecooking, and the chicken pieces are placed in their placebreasts, fried for a few minutes until golden brown, add: water, chopped onions, mushrooms, fried bacon, sour cream, spices and everything is cooked for a fewmore minutes.
Curd salad:the fresh cucumber, onions and Chinese cabbage are finely chopped, salt and seasoning are added, let stand 10 minutes, so that the vegetablesgive juice and add fatty curd, pour over it sour cream mixed with mayonnaise.
There are many recipes for the keto diet, anyone can choose the best option from the allowed products.
This diet can be delicious and varied.
Stop the keto diet
After completing the course, in order not to harm health and usefully quit the keto diet, it is necessary to gradually reduce the amount of fat consumed. To maintain the metabolism and avoid putting the body in a state of stress, you need to gradually increase the intake of carbohydrates and protein in small portions.
With fat, calorie intake is reduced. Vegetables and cereals are gradually introduced into the diet, avoiding sweet and floury products. The daily carbohydrate intake in the first days of exiting the diet should be 70-100 grams, it is desirable to leave the protein intake at the same level.
Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.
Keto Diet Nutritionists Reviews
Nutritionists consider the ketogenic diet to be universal not only for weight loss and weight loss, but also recommend it for improving health. With strict and strict adherence to dietary prescriptions, the diet should contain: 80% fat, 10% protein and 10% carbohydrate.
Dietitians have written over 30 scientific papers, and many years of research have shown that the ketogenic diet dramatically speeds up the reduction of insulin in the blood, a hormone that promotes the buildup of subcutaneous fat. The diet improves appetite control, the diet suppresses the production of hormonal warming, which causes hunger. Muscle mass remains the same, the amount of subcutaneous fat is reduced.
Scientific studies have shown that for the treatment of certain cardiovascular diseases, the ketogenic diet is a non-drug treatment.
Good nutrition is not only the key to weight loss, but also has a beneficial effect on the functioning of the gastrointestinal tract, heart, liver, and kidneys.
A balanced diet high in fat and moderate in protein and carbohydrate for a long time, promotes a healthy lifestyle, prolongs youthfulness, helps to maintain good physical shape. Doctors recommend walking more in the fresh air, getting a full night's sleep, and there are only natural products.